Monday, July 16, 2007

America's Safest Small Towns: Newton, Massachusetts


Where is Newton?
Adjacent to Boston, Massachusetts

What to do?
The Jackson Homestead, of course!

The last time when I visited Boston, one of my friends recommended this place. Newton. I thought, "what the heck of a thing is that?" No doubt, there were shades of curiosity, but I was no too excited. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a go.

You won't believe what happened there. I was totally bowled over by Newton's sheer beauty and the activities there. I couldn't help an extended vacation! Interestingly, you won't find Newton town center even if you keep searching for the whole life! Yes. There is no single town center in Newton. Instead, what they have is 13 villages woven together and most of them bragging their own "downtown"!

If you ever visit Newton, don't miss the The Jackson Homestead. Presently, the Newton History Museum, the Jackson Homestead is perhaps best known for its history as a stop on the Underground Railroad. Built in 1809 as a farmhouse designed in the Federal style, today, it displays paintings, costumes, photographs, manuscripts, maps and historical artifacts.

If you love golf, just go to the Woodland Country Club, Charles River Country Club, and Brae Burn Country Club, which was the venue for US Open, 1919.

Forget about its history. At present, the Norumbega Park is just right for the child of nature. A popular dog-walking site, it invites you with breathtaking hills, meadows, woods, and access to the river.

The weekends ware exciting at the Mall at Chestnut Hill. It's a shop-and-watch-jazz kind of a theme and I was totally in love with it! Foodies will love to dine out. Everyone there recommends the Capital Grille Steakhouse or Appetito, featuring Tuscan-accented Italian cuisine.

I stayed at the Marriott. You can pick the Sheraton, too. If you want a more homely feel, you can't miss the smaller inns and bed and breakfasts there. Everything is good. Did I tell you that I was glued to Newton for 4 days!! I wanted more!

Book Flights to Boston here.

No comments: